John Carey Auto Upholstery & Accessories has been serving cars and trucks (and their owners) in the Pittsburgh area for 60 years!
John Carey, Sr. started working in the auto trim business in 1951. He started his own auto trim business in 1971 in Bloomfield, calling it Fort Pitt Auto Trim. This is when 12-year-old John Carey, Jr. began working summers at his father’s shop, learning the trade from the master himself. That year, John Jr. and his cousin learned a lot while working on their first big project: upholstering 150 school bus seats! When he entered 10th grade, John Jr. got special permission to leave school at noon each day, working full-time in the family business.
In 1978 the business moved to West Liberty Avenue and was renamed John Carey Auto Trim, and then in 1989 it moved again to Brownsville Road in Carrick.
In 2001, John Jr. and his wife Beth left the business to focus on Christian missions work. They moved their family to Kyrgyzstan in 2002 where they helped the Kyrgyz people by starting an education center in a small village.
John Sr. closed the business in 2002 at the age of 68 and continued to do auto upholstery as a hobby.
John Jr. and his family moved back to the Pittsburgh area in 2009 as their oldest daughter started college, and John re-opened the family business as John Carey Auto Upholstery. John Jr. and Beth continue to help direct the education center they started in Kyrgyzstan and John Sr. is still actively involved in helping with the business.
There you go: 60 years of auto upholstery!